Friday, November 9, 2007

fly guy funk.

Of course, everybody with VH1 classic or any sense of music video knows Robert Palmer for this,

or perhaps this:


but more than anything, R. Palm was a great interpreter of songs. More than any of his original material that I've encountered, his covers of The Beatles' "Not A Second Time", Cherelle's "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" and The System's "You Are In My System" are some of the best examples of a singer taking a song and really allowing themselves the opportunity to make the composition their own. The Beatles number gets a sort of blue-eyed soul interpretation and Cherelle's already great song gets a white boy plastic funk groove.

Palmer seems to have realized that his voice was well suited to do the contemporary R & B numbers and he capitalized on it. As far as I'm concerned they are his shining moments.

RIP

Robert Palmer - Not A Second Time (The Beatles)

Robert Palmer - I Didn't Mean To Turn You On (Cherelle)

No comments: