Wednesday, November 7, 2007

serotonin flowing.

Since the age of about 8 or so, my musical taste chart has looked something like this:

  • 8-13 - Strictly hip-hop or hip-hop flavored r & b.
  • 13-15 - Hip-hop, 70's classics, and really shitty rock/nu-metal (i.e. Limp Bizkit, Korn, Stone Temple Pilots) with occasional great semi-modern rock (Nirvana, The Doors, Pink Floyd.) All kept secret from my hooligan rap friends.
  • 16-18 - With the introduction of regular computer access comes indie rock and underground hip-hop. I also had started college once I hit 17, this allowed me to regularly buy cd's for the first time in my life. Before that, record buying was relegated to birthdays, Christmas, Mom giving me a couple of bucks at tax-return time or the once every six months spoil of falling into a few dollars. My hip-hop hooligan friends were gracious enough to trade me Jay-Z albums for shirts or a cool knife.
  • 18-20 - Disco, Italo-disco, new wave, post-punk, psych, freestyle, classic rock & a few select hip-hop artists. At this point I'm sick of indie rock (for the most part) and rap has gone to shit (mostly.) I hardly ever by cd's (all vinyl pretty much) and I haven't bought anything released within the past year. I'm mot sure if that means that I've become a bitter curmudgeon or what, but I do know that I've been jamming on these old records pretty hard lately and I don't really see anything wrong with that at all.
So, what does all of that have to do with anything? Not much at all really, just thought I'd share.
From the treasure troves of my mind/hard drive, I'll be sharing some of my favorite songs from these periods. This one is from when I was wearing corduroys and going down to Union Square by myself on Friday nights while I was flunking out of my second semester of college.

I was curious about these guys (Liars) and ordered everything they had done from Amazon. They didn't write this one, Oneida did, but it is probably one of the best things that they've ever done. (Besides their second album, which I still stand behind. Fuck the haters.)


I really love their early, evil album covers.


Liars - Rose & Licorice*



*An .m4a file, if anybody needs an mp3 instead, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brian.

where have you been?